Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Importance of Self Image

I had to write a reflection paper on the performance theories of communication as an assignment in my Communication Theorie class. I thought some of the concepts I discuss in this short summery are important for everybody to read. There is some technical jargon because this is of course an assignment, but I hope my explanations make sense. 
Chapter 6 discussed several concepts relating to performance studies. Back stage and front stage actions have to do with personal presentation of ourselves to others. Erving Goffman developed the dramaturgical theory, which explains how people perform in their day-to-day lives. This theory is similar to dramatism theory discussed in chapter five. Performance ethnography is another theory that describes the performance of people based on their ethnicity. This theory has two parts: thick and thin readings of cultural life.  Thin readings are much like brute facts, likewise, thick readings are like institutional facts. Performance theories are often applied to political actions for change, social normalcy or to uphold standards in society.  
When I first studied the concepts of back and front stage performances I thought to myself "I'm a pretty straight forward guy; what you see is what you get." Then I kept reading and realized that I put on a front and back stage performance every day. I don't think anybody could possibly act the same in either situation, although I think somebody who is not easily swayed by public opinion of themselves could get very close. Still, we all do funny stuff at home that we would never do in front of a group of people. Personally, I find the presentation of self image to be very important to me. It is often thought that one with limited eyesight could not possibly live independently, hold down a job or be social just like his or her sighted peers. This of course is not the case, and I back that up with 25 years of living as a person who happens to be visually impaired. Still, I can't just tell you, or my classmates, or the entire  campus, or even the world. No, I have to present this claim to every person I meet. I do this by presenting  a self reliant, confident, intelligent, good natured complexion. You may be thinking "why try so hard?" or "why would you try to be somebody you are not?" It's not hard; it's natural. I grew up in a sighted world, with sighted family and friends around me. I refuse to be pigeon-holed into a pre-casted mold, which is created by society's misconceptions of me. This is why self image and performance theories are so   important. 
Reflecting on performance ethnography, if everybody walked a day in somebody els's shoes, we would all be a little more informed, a little more understanding, a little nicer to others and less judgmental. I find it very interesting to learn about how other people view the world around them. I taught independent living skills to visually impaired adults for six years and more often than not, before teaching somebody a new skill I would first stop and watch them act naturally in their home environment. In this case it was the training facility/dormitory where the students were living during their training.  I would observe as much about my students as possible. I would observe social interactions, make note about physical or emotional challenges that they faced or simply how they presented themselves when interacting with me as well as the general public. I learned if I took the time to try and put myself in their shoes and try to understand the challenges they faced I would be a better instructor figure to them. I often saw success in the lessons I taught and the techniques I implemented after taking the time to observe my students in their natural setting. So what is my point? Take time and truly get to know somebody. Listen to their story with active ears and mind, put yourself in their place and appreciate their efforts. and see how the concepts of performance ethnography apply to their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment