Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Term is Over and the Grades are in; How Did I Do?

With my first term at University complete and my grades in,I'm reflecting on the results of my efforts.
It was quite a learning curve first re-locating, then learning both the physical and academic layouts of my new University. I did quite well this term; earning a 3.7 GPA. This is my personal best. I've always  struggled with school, so to receive good grades for my work feels great. It's a message that I can do it; I have what it takes to make it at a University, and so do you!  I learned a lot, I met a lot of interesting people and I feel like I've done a lot both academically and socially.

Looking back, I should have enrolled in University a long time ago. I don't want to make this a community college VS university argument, because they both have their positive's and negative's. However, from my own experiences I really wished I would have went to a University straight out of high school. Although I gained life experiences that I would have never received at a University. Simply put, the academic, social and vocational opportunities are much, much better at a University. Like many things, you do get what you pay for when it comes to higher education. Now, can you over-pay for a college education? Absolutely, however cutting corners and picking the least expensive option is not always the best. I advise aiming for the middle of the cost spectrum when exploring higher education options.   Community college is a great start; it allows a person to get a solid academic experience without investing a lot of money or time in a higher education option. Unfortunately community colleges often lack the social, vocational and internship opportunities often recommended for many majors. From my experiences, if you are unsure if higher education is the right thing to do, enroll at your local community college for a term. Get your feet wet, learn how academics at the collegiate level work. If you are happy with what you see apply to the university of your choice and go for it!

I joined my University's marching band as a crash cymbal player. Having this outlet allowed me to meet people and to take a break from studying to do something I personally enjoy. There is talk of the University drum line doing some post season performances in the community. I of course am going to participate. As for next year? I'm hoping to move up in the ranks of the drum line. My goal is to master enough music by next fall to land a position playing the snare or tenner drums. When I say "master," I mean memorize the required parts. It will take some work, but hopefully it will pay off. I've put a lot of thought into this goal. I have experience playing both of these drums and these instruments are the most enjoyable to play I think. I will keep practicing, refining my technique and learning songs for next year. I'm also going to try and find another musical group to play in this winter. I really appreciate the camaraderie  and sound that comes from a group of musicians all working together to produce one full bodied sound.

I think the coolest thing about going to University is the simple fact that I'm truly a person who just so happens to be visually impaired. I'm learning, socializing and playing music alongside my sighted peers, and I'm loving it. I'm doing what I grew up doing, and thats living life in a sighted world, alongside sighted people. I have my own set of accommodations but I have them so I can do what everybody else is doing, not to promote the message of "hey, look at me, I'm blind." Nope I'm me and I'm doing what everybody else is doing, oh yeah and I guess I can't see physically, that is. But who cares! I'm doing what I want to do, I'm doing it with everybody else and for the most part I'm enjoying it, even if I have to work a little harder. I've got my own program that I created and I'm in charge of. That, is a beautiful thing.

To sum this all up, risking it all and taking a leap of faith in an attempt to reach my higher education goals was a great decision. It was a very hard and risky decision but in the end it was worth it. I'm doing great at University!
The moral of the story?
If you want something, even if the idea seems far fetched and the effort required to reach what you want is massive, go for it! Why wouldn't you? Those who take a calculated risk and work hard are often rewarded for their efforts. It is foolish to do the same thing and expect different results. So with the new year approaching, think about what you have been wanting to accomplish. Think about it, then go do it!


Happy Holidays!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment